“The Tarot–78 Facets of One Message.” Speaking with Lon Milo Duquette

Lon Milo Duquette spoke with me earlier this week as part of my research for my class “A Tarot Deck Journey: How to Start and Finish Your Own Tarot Deck.” Part of this endeavor includes asking Tarot deck creators and distributors to talk about what they believe makes for a truly great Tarot deck. Lon is the creator of “The Tarot of Ceremonial Magick,”as well as numerous books on Tarot and Magick including “Low Magick: It’s all In Your Head! You Just Have No Idea How Big Your Head Is,” “The Chicken Qabalah,” “Sex Magic, Tantra, and Tarot” and the instructional DVD “Tarot, Kabbalah, and Other Oracles” among many other titles. Below is a snippet of my interview–the part that made me cry. 🙂

Lon mentioned a conversation he had with his wife about Tarot. She said that all Tarot cards ultimately have the same message, but each say it in its own way. I asked him what that ultimate message might be. While he said that any given day his answer might be different, here is the answer he had on the day I asked the question:

“They (the 78 cards of the Tarot) are all saying that Love is a real force. Love is a noun. Love is a real, real, energy—as real as electricity or nuclear energy. They’re all an expression of how love manifests, how it courses through creation. At any given time, I don’t see it as a “Fool’s Journey.” Every Tarot card is the beginning and the end, the Alpha and the Omega, and is a snapshot of Love manifesting through creation, Love in the process of creating, Love in the process of destroying. Every one of the cards has potentially, in its symbolic meaning, a way to tell that story from Alpha-to-Omega in its own way. It’s as if this Love and this Light, the Tarot is a gem, a jewel, that has 78 facets to it, and every way you turn it, it’s like a specific spectrum and that card represents the sub-division of that Light. Today’s understanding is that that Light is what we try to wrap our minds around when we use the word Love.”

Lon will be in New York City at Cafe Vivaldi performing from his new album on Saturday, April 21st at 8:00 p.m.  He will also be lecturing on Magick and performing at other venues in New York City and Connecticut that week. Please check him out on Facebook and at his website.

I will be teaching this class as part of the Reader’s Studio 2012 here in New York City this month! To book a reading for yourself or someone you love, please go here! I am running a special Mother’s Day offer for that special Mumsy in your life here as well.

12 Comments

• Angel says:

Love that… this is my favorite part:

“They (the 78 cards of the Tarot) are all saying that Love is a real force. Love is a noun. Love is a real, real, energy—as real as electricity or nuclear energy.”

Love is as real as electricity or nuclear energy! WHOA!

and

• Bri Saussy says:

Oh I like this blog so much and I only just found out about it. As a reader myself I like the notion that the Tarot keeps saying the same thing in different ways-that seems right to me on many levels. Also love DuQuette–he is golden! Thank you so much for sharing your process with us.

• Jackie says:

It’s love that binds everything together thanks so much for sharing and reminding us of that.

• This is my favorite quote: “the Tarot is a gem, a jewel, that has 78 facets to it” Ain’t it the truth. I might have to make this an exercise to practice everyday, one card a day: How does Love manifest through The Fool? The Magician? and so on through all 78 cards… once Love is done, move on to another amorphous big concepts, such as Hate, Perception, Idealism, etc.

And… I love Readers Studio. 🙂

• Leah Shapiro says:

I’m fascinated by this idea –

“It’s as if this Love and this Light, the Tarot is a gem, a jewel, that has 78 facets to it, and every way you turn it, it’s like a specific spectrum and that card represents the sub-division of that Light. Today’s understanding is that that Light is what we try to wrap our minds around when we use the word Love.”

For me it expands into something amazing when I think about having a reading or picking a daily card and that representing how you are resonating with the energy of Love in that given moment.

Powerful stuff!

• Jessica says:

Wow — I don’t even need to know anything about tarot for this section to resonate with me:

“Love is a real force. Love is a noun. Love is a real, real, energy—as real as electricity or nuclear energy.”

That’s profound, and if more people can keep that in mind, think what changes could happen in the world!

All the best to you, and your work in representing Love.

• This is definitely moving and beautiful.. loved his take on the facets of love and light being part of the tarot. It’s true that most of the spiritual guidance and “big” messages are usually just one message said in many different ways, in different voices by different teachers and wise ones. Which makes it all easier for those of us who are learning…Loved your post…beautiful.
    Love and blessings,
    Lisa

Simple Sacred Solutions For Living Beautifully In Your Body

• Its amazing how 78 cards of the tarot boil down to one message… Love! Love is an amazing feeling! And I love that you chose this topic for this week. Good one Courtney! xoxo

• Julie Geigle says:

Such confirmation that I am on the right track. In a different blog I answered that I stood for “love” as trite as that sounded to me when I wrote it and then in another blog I shared that Tarot cards seem to be calling to me. And here you are putting those two things together for me. So very amazing. Thank you. ♥

• Roshank says:

Thanks so much for sharing all this info with us. I boghut the Sun and Moon tarot today and was looking for some guidance. I didn’t even know it was a Thoth-based deck I was just drawn to the cards themselves. I’m definitely going to study more about Crowley and his theories, so that I can really start to understand these cards.

• Brandy says:

This is so interesting! I am not super familiar with Tarot, but I do know Love! And I think your beautiful quote rings true on many different levels. Thank you for sharing – I definitely learned something!

• Guapitas says:

j72Well apart from the obvious, one being the palm of a hand the other being 78 cards any difeerfnce lies within the reader.Both are tools for psychic connection the flow of energy. Both can be used as a psychic tool but also simply based on their lines or symbols with no psychic element. As a Tarot reader teacher I would lean towards the cards, but both are good in the right hands. Sadhara